Wednesday, July 22, 2015

[Poetry] The Tree

In memory of D. S. –
Thank you for all you have taught me in your words and actions.
 --

My heart’s still sad, though time has passed,
But now some peace I have at last.
My friend, through you, my mind recalls –
If, in a forest, a tree falls,
And there is nobody around
Does it, in fact, evoke a sound?

For I can hear the birds do weep
No twigs for nests or berries to reap.
And squirrels release a heavy sigh
No more acorns come from on high.
The owls hoot a solemn tune
Their trunk – their home – lost all too soon.
A loss sustained, the monkeys mourned
The treasured treetop vines adorned.
And who will help the fawn to grieve
The absence of the shady leaf?

The realization I have found
The tree indeed does make a sound.
Not from the loud thud of the fall
But from the life it gave to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment