Saturday, November 15, 2014

[Poetry] A Fire Not Yet Lit

"I don't have much time left on this Earth, so please listen. Remember to take the time to learn about others' cultures. Ask where they are from. Connect. Oh, and learn a second language, or you will die in medicine. Think of me when you are driving your Porsche." - from a patient, who will not be forgotten.
--

perfection is a myth-
of this i am well aware
but is the feeling of adequacy,
or at least recognition, so impossible to
realize?

"just try your best"
such is the advice of the Naive,
untouched by troubles, Their privileged status
embracing Their success, protecting Them from life's harsh
blows.

Their words fall flat
in fact They twist the dagger deeper
do They truly not believe i weave with care
every thread of my very being into my actions and
words?

these People, Friends by title i suppose,
for i recognize They mean no harm.
They do not think before speaking.
Their comments: just forethought.
meaningless.

however,
with no words, with no meaning,
They are proudly praised! every move.
every act. and for every blindly parroted
phrase.

whereas Society has left me
stranded in the ice.
i am confused,
left alone,
numb.

my love provides the foundational kindling
and my purposeful voice added tinder.
but in a world devaluing my offerings,
i am left without a
match.

there is a rumor in the icy whispers
that someday there will be a match for me.
but until then, i stand around a fire not yet lit,
the unforgiving, cold wind shakes my core, and i fear permanent
frostbite.

No comments:

Post a Comment